This clever craft-punched card from artist Rosa Clifford, founder of ROC Paper Scissors, is a perfect way to let family and friends know you're thinking of them this Valentine's Day.
Tools and Materials
- Pink, lavender, purple, orange, and green cardstock
- Paper trimmer or ruler and craft knife
- Martha Stewart Crafts Key and Heart 12-by-12 paper pad
- Martha Stewart Crafts Punch All Over the Page Scallop Square punch
- Adhesive foam dots
- Martha Stewart Crafts Pink-Red Blooming Rose stickers
- Martha Stewart Crafts 3-in-1 Hydrangea craft punch
- 1/16-inch hole punch
- Glue pen
- Martha Stewart Crafts Rose Leaf craft punch
- Sugar packet
- Double-sided tape
- White 5- by 7-inch folded card
''Roses Are Red'' Valentine How-To
1. Cut a 5- by 6 3/4-inch rectangle of pink cardstock for the background mat.
2. Cut a 4 3/4- by 6 1/2-inch rectangle from the "Roses are Red" sheet of the Key and Heart paper pad.
Note: Use the portion of paper with the preprinted "roses are red, violets are blue" lettering so that it is centered at the bottom of the rectangle.
3. Turn printed paper over and draw guide lines for centering the scalloped square punch when creating the three "windows." Punch the top window approximately 1/4 inch from the top of the paper. Punch the remaining two windows below the first with an approximate spacing of 1/2 inch between each.
4. Place adhesive foam dots in each corner on the back of the punched paper, and adhere to center of pink mat.
5. With adhesive foam dots, attach a red rose sticker to the pink mat within the top window.
6. Punch a scalloped square from lavender cardstock to create a background. Glue square to pink mat, inside second window.
7. Punch purple cardstock with the 3-in-1 Hydrangea punch to create the violet flowers; punch dots from orange cardstock with a 1/16-inch hole punch. Adhere the orange dots to the centers of the violet flowers with a glue pen.
8. To create the violet leaves, punch green cardstock with the Rose Leaf punch. Adhere leaves to the lavender background. Adhere the violet flowers on top of the leaves with adhesive foam dots or a glue pen.
9. Empty a sugar packet and fold it into approximately a 1-inch square. Attach the packet to the pink mat inside the third window with adhesive foam dots.
10. Using double-sided tape, adhere the completed pink cardstock rectangle with all the elements to the front of a 5- by 7-inch folded white card.
Resources: Key and Heart paper pad, Scallop Square punch, Pink-Red Blooming Rose stickers, Hydrangea craft punch, and Rose Leaf craft punch from Martha Stewart Crafts. All other supplies available at craft stores.