Chocolate-Zucchini Cakes with Walnuts
Zucchini makes these treats nice and moist. You can substitute pecans for the walnuts.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 24
Source: Everyday Food, May 2010
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 24 walnut halves
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini (from 1 medium zucchini)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (3 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Nonstick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together butter, sugar, salt, and egg until combined. Add vanilla, zucchini, and sour cream and stir until incorporated. Sift flour and cocoa powder into bowl and stir until combined. Stir in chocolate.
Spray two mini muffin pans with cooking spray. Fill each cup with 2 tablespoons batter and top with a walnut. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 17 minutes. Let muffins cool slightly in pans on wire racks before serving.