Sausages with Browned Onions
Swapping out tangy sauerkraut for browned onions turns this savory favorite into a sweeter dish. Serve with applesauce and brown mustard, which are delicious with sausage.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2010
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into 2-inch wedges, left attached at roots
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 assorted sausages, such as kielbasa, knockwurst, or bratwurst (about 1 pound), scored on the bias
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onions until browned on one side, about 5 minutes. Flip onions. Add caraway seeds, and season with salt and pepper.
Add sausages, and cook, turning often, until browned and plump on all sides, about 15 minutes (adjust heat if onions are browning too quickly). Remove from heat, and add wine, swirling to incorporate. Transfer onions and sausages to a platter; tent with foil to keep warm.