Angel-Hair Pasta with Sauteed Oysters and Chorizo
- Servings: 4
Source: MSL Cookbook Vol. 2; The New Classics
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces dried, hot chorizo sausage, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 dozen shucked fresh oysters
- 8 ounces angel-hair pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2/3 cup strained oyster liquor
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chorizo. Cook, stirring, until crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels, and let drain. Wipe out pan.
Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add flour, spices, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes (do not brown). Add sherry, and cook, whisking, 1 minute. Whisk in cream and oyster liquor. Bring to a simmer, and whisk until thick, about 3 minutes.
Add salt to boiling water; add pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain. Add oysters to sauce; gently poach until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add pasta; toss. Divide among plates. Top with chorizo; sprinkle with orange zest.