Beecher's Flagship Cheese Sauce
This recipe for Beecher's flagship cheese sauce, from Kurt Beecher Dammeier's "Pure Flavor" cookbook, is the perfect addition to his World's Best Mac and Cheese.
- Yield: Makes about 4 cups
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 3073
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 14 ounces cheddar cheese, preferably Flagship, grated (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 ounces Jack cheese, preferably Just Jack, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour. Continue whisking and cooking for 2 minutes.
Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheeses, salt, chile powder, and garlic powder. Stir until cheese has melted and all ingredients are well incorporated, about 3 minutes. Use immediately or refrigerate up to 3 days.
To reheat sauce, place in a saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until heated through.