Shredded Chicken and Soba Noodle Soup
Look for soba noodles in the Asian section of your supermarket.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2003
- 10 cups Chicken Stock for Chicken and Soba Noodles
- 2 whole skinless chicken breasts, halved
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 pound soba noodles
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- 2 red radishes, trimmed and julienned
- 1/2 bunch watercress, tough stems removed, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
In a medium stockpot, bring chicken stock to a simmer over medium heat. Add chicken breasts; return to a simmer. Reduce heat; simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate, and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cover, and keep the stock at a low simmer.
Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt, and stir in soba noodles. Cook until soba is al dente according to package instructions. Drain; set aside.
Remove the chicken meat from bones, and shred into bite-size pieces. Add tofu to simmering stock just until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, ladle stock and tofu into soup bowls. Add shredded chicken to each bowl, and mound soba noodles in the center. Sprinkle with the carrots and radishes; garnish with watercress and cilantro.