Savory French Toast
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2001
- 5 ounces (about 6 slices) bacon
- 2 onions, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, half-and-half, or milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces), plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 slices 1-inch-thick bread, such as sourdough, each cut into 3 long strips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon; cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove bacon with tongs, drain on paper towels, and set aside. Add onions to skillet with bacon drippings; cook, stirring constantly, until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until tender and most of the liquid released has evaporated, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl to cool. When cool, finely chop half the mixture, and set aside the other half.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, Parmesan, and salt. Stir in the finely chopped vegetable mixture.
Place the bread strips in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer. Pour egg mixture over bread; soak 10 minutes. Turn strips over, and soak until bread is soaked through, about 10 minutes more.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet; set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry half the bread strips until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to wire rack; place in oven while cooking remaining bread.
Wipe out skillet; repeat with remaining butter, oil, and bread. Keep in oven until ready to serve. Heat remaining onion mixture in a small skillet until warm. Serve French toast warm, topped with reserved onion mixture, crumbled bacon, and Parmesan, if desired.