Mr. John's Meatloaf
The chorizo sausage nestled in the center of the meatloaf really sets this dish apart. If you cannot find fresh chorizo, substitute any fresh, spicy sausage.
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 green bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Creole Seasoning
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo sausage (not smoked)
- 1/2 cup bottled chili sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside. In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, eggs, onion, breadcrumbs, bell pepper, cream, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and Creole Seasoning. Gently mix to combine (do not overmix).
Place half of meat mixture on prepared sheet; form into a 9-by-4-inch loaf. Using a paring knife, remove casing from chorizo (keeping the shape intact). Place chorizo lengthwise down center of loaf. Cover with rest of meat mixture, enclosing the chorizo and patting to adhere.
Brush chili sauce over meatloaf. Bake, basting occasionally with pan juices, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.