Indian-Spiced Chicken with Raita
This delicious Indian-spiced chicken with raita recipe will be sure to spice up your dinner table.
- Servings: 6
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, March Spring 2008
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds skinless chicken thighs, scored
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Sprigs fresh cilantro, for garnish
Place paprika, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, and cayenne in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Toast, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
Transfer toasted spices to a large bowl along with yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator. Let chill for at least 6 hours and up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until just beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade and place on top of onions. Transfer skillet to oven and roast until chicken is slightly charred and juices run clear when meat is pierced, about 40 minutes.
Serve immediately with lemon wedges and raita; garnish with cilantro.