Poached Halibut with Vegetables a la Paysanne
- Servings: 4
- 3/4 cup homemade chicken stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced crosswise, and quartered
- Coarse salt
- 4 3 1/2-ounce halibut steaks, 1/2-inch thick
In a medium saucepan, combine chicken stock, 3/4 cup water, and 3 tablespoons butter. Add onion, carrot, celery, and potatoes; cook over medium-low heat until tender and most liquid is absorbed. Season with salt.
In an 8- to 10-inch skillet, bring 1/2 cup water and remaining 1 tablespoon butter to a simmer. Season halibut on both sides with salt. Place halibut in poaching liquid; cook until just well done, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spatula, transfer halibut to plate, and serve with vegetables.