Braised Fennel and Artichokes
This recipe for braised fennel and artichokes can be found in "The Young Man and the Sea" by David Pasternack and Ed Levine.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2007
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 dried mild red chile, such as Italian finger hots or red Thai
- 3 large fennel bulbs, cored, outer layers removed, and cut into 2-by-1/8-inch strips
- 4 large artichokes, outer leaves removed, head cut into thin slices
- 4 strips lemon peel
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat olive oil in a large, straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chile and cook until garlic is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add fennel, artichokes, lemon peel, thyme, and wine to skillet; stir to combine. Bring to mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fennel is tender, about 25 minutes. It may be necessary to add water if liquid evaporates too quickly.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer solids to a bowl; set aside. Increase heat to high and reduce liquid by half. Pour reduced liquid over the fennel and artichoke mixture. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.