Braised Fennel and Artichokes
This recipe for braised fennel and artichokes can be found in "The Young Man and the Sea" by David Pasternack and Ed Levine.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 dried mild red chile, such as Italian finger hots or red Thai
- 3 large fennel bulbs, cored, outer layers removed, and cut into 2-by-1/8-inch strips
- 4 large artichokes, outer leaves removed, head cut into thin slices
- 4 strips lemon peel
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat olive oil in a large, straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chile and cook until garlic is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add fennel, artichokes, lemon peel, thyme, and wine to skillet; stir to combine. Bring to mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fennel is tender, about 25 minutes. It may be necessary to add water if liquid evaporates too quickly.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer solids to a bowl; set aside. Increase heat to high and reduce liquid by half. Pour reduced liquid over the fennel and artichoke mixture. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2007