Fried Ricotta With a Little Tomato Salad
Recipe from "Jamie's Italy," by Jamie Oliver
- 1 pound fresh ricotta cheese, drained
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 ripe tomatoes, halved, seeded, finely chopped and drained
- 2 fresh basil, stems chopped and leaves torn
- 1 red chile, ribs and seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Olive oil, for frying
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, for serving
In a large bowl, mix together ricotta with Parmesan, flour, pinch of salt, and egg. Season with pepper; refrigerate until ready to cook.
In a medium bowl, mix together the tomatoes, basil, and chile. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar. Gently stir to combine.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Working in batches, drop the ricotta mixture a tablespoon at a time into the skillet, taking care not to crowd the fritters. Cook, turning once until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
Transfer cooked fritters to a paper-towel-lined plate, sprinkle with salt and nutmeg. Serve immediately with tomato mixture.