These spiced lamb burgers, topped with eggplant and feta, bring a bit of the Mediterranean to your backyard grilling.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2010
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 plain or whole-wheat buns
- Fresh goat or feta cheese, crumbled
Heat a grill to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Brush eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill eggplant, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop. In a medium bowl, toss eggplant with mint and lemon zest and juice.
In another medium bowl, mix lamb, cumin, and coriander. Form into 4 patties. Season with salt and pepper. Grill 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve burgers on buns with eggplant mixture and crumbled goat cheese.