Pork Roast with Roasted Apples and Braised Red Cabbage
This recipe for pork roast with roasted apples and braised red cabbage is sure to appeal to the entire family.
- Servings: 6
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 1177c
- Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 1 bone-in center-cut pork loin roast, (about 5 pounds, 6 ribs), rib ends frenched and chine bone removed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 white onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 baking apples, such as Gala or Jonagold, halved horizontally
- 3 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Easy Braised Red Cabbage
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a roasting pan with parchment paper. Place a roasting rack inside pan and spray with cooking spray.
Generously season the pork with salt and pepper. Transfer to roasting rack, bone side down. Grate the onion on the large holes of a box grater. Press onion evenly over the pork, covering as much of the meat as possible. Sprinkle thyme over pork and generously drizzle with oil; roast for 1 hour.
Place apples, cut side up, around the pork, on the rack. Top each apple with 1/2 teaspoon butter, and season with salt. Return to oven; roast until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the pork registers 140 degrees. about 45 minutes. Remove pork, and let stand 20 minutes before carving.
Slice the pork evenly between the rib bones, and serve with cabbage and roasted apples.