- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- Coarse salt, for sprinkling
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse flour, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, cumin, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add butter; process until mixture resembles coarse meal. With machine running, gradually add buttermilk; process until dough comes together and is moist.
Transfer to a lightly floured surface. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Roll until 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick. Sprinkle with coarse salt; roll to press salt into dough.
Cut dough into 4-inch-long leaf shapes, or other desired shape. Transfer the leaves to ungreased baking sheets. Pierce each cracker liberally with a fork. Bake until hard, about 16 minutes. Transfer crackers to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight plastic container, at room temperature, up to 1 week.