Under 30 Minutes
Sauteed Scallions, Mushrooms, and Asparagus
Choose scallions with crisp green tops and clean white bulbs. As a rule, scallions with slender bulbs are the sweetest.
- 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and sliced diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 2 bunches (3 to 4 cups) scallions, sliced diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
Thinly slice mushrooms. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add mushrooms; cook, tossing often, until browned, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring 3 cups salted water to a boil in a small saucepan; add asparagus. Cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes; drain.
To mushrooms, add asparagus and scallions; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, until scallions have wilted and pan is dry, about 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar; serve immediately.
SourceEveryday Food, May 2005