Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
Iced cupcakes are delicious snacks or desserts. Unfrosted, these carrot-filled cupcakes are perfect for breakfast on the run or a lunch-box treat.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, plus more for garnish
- 8 ounces bar cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a standard 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners. In a bowl, combine sugar, vegetable oil, orange juice, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and eggs.
Stir in baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and salt. Add flour; mix. Stir in carrots, walnuts, and coconut.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 25 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
Frost cupcakes, and garnish with shredded coconut.