Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
Unfrosted, these carrot-filled cupcakes are perfect for breakfast on the run or a lunch-box treat.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 12
Source: Everyday Food, May/June 2003
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, plus more for garnish
- 8-ounce bar cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a standard 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners. In a bowl, combine sugar, vegetable oil, orange juice, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and eggs.
Stir in baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and salt. Add flour; mix. Stir in carrots, walnuts, and coconut.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 25 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
For the icing: In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
Frost cupcakes, and garnish with shredded coconut.