Savory Autumn Leaf Pies
Some of these small leaf-shaped hand-pies are filled with a mixture of roasted carrots, parsnips, garlic, and Swiss chard; others with cider-glazed shallots and Granny Smith apples.
- Yield: Makes 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 1999
For the Dough
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ice water
For the Vegetable Filling
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces Swiss or red chard (leaves and stems), washed and chopped
For Apple-Shallot Filling
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 medium shallots, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Make the dough: Pulse flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter and shortening, and process just until mixture resembles coarse meal. Pour in ice water, pulsing just until dough comes together. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a disk, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight).
Make the vegetable filling. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss together carrot, parsnip, garlic, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper in a small roasting pan or baking dish. Roast until golden and tender, about 30 minutes. Squeeze garlic from skins, and toss with vegetable mixture; discard skins.
Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook until translucent, about 1 minute. Add chard and remaining teaspoon salt, and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Drain, and toss with vegetable mixture. Remove from heat, and let cool.
Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out one disk of dough to 1/8 inch thick. Using a 4-inch leaf-cutter, cut out 12 leaves. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Place a heaping tablespoon of vegetable filling on each leaf.
Whisk together egg yolk and cream. Roll out remaining dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out 12 more leaves. Using a small paring knife, etch veins on leaves. Brush edges of each filled leaf with egg wash; top with a veined leaf. Press edges together to seal. Brush tops with egg wash, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Bake pies until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.