Mrs. Feinberg's Vegetable Kugel
Joan Nathan, author of "Jewish Cooking in America" and "The Jewish Holiday Kitchen," shares her recipe for kugel, one of her most popular Passover dishes.
- 1/2 cup pareve margarine, melted and cooled, plus more for muffin tin
- 1 cup unpeeled, grated Granny Smith apple (1 medium apple)
- 1 cup peeled, grated sweet potato (1 small potato)
- 1 cup peeled, grated carrot (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly brush muffin tins with margarine. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup margarine, apple, sweet potato, carrot, matzo meal, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Stir to combine. Divide mixture evenly between nine of the prepared muffin tins (three will be left empty).
Cover with parchment paper and aluminum foil. Bake 30 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees, remove paper and foil, and continue baking until firm and dark golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, March 2002