Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting
Similar to dark chocolate frosting, this topping gets its intense color from the addition of semisweet chocolate. Sour cream and cream cheese impart tangy flavor and ultra-creamy consistency. This frosting would pair well with any chocolate cupcake, particularly devil's food.This recipe is from "Martha Stewart's Cupcakes."
- Yield: Makes about 8 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Cupcakes
- 1 pound (4 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 18 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
Sift together confectioners' sugar, cocoa, and salt. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat cream cheese and butter until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add sugar mixture; mix until combined. Mix in melted and cooled chocolate and then sour cream; scrape down sides of bowl and continue beating until smooth. Use immediately, or frosting can be stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days, or frozen up to 1 month, in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature and beat on low speed until smooth.