Hunter's Chicken Stew
This delicious recipe is from "Jamie's Italy," by Jamie Oliver.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show
- 1 chicken (4 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces, or one 4 1/2-pound package chicken parts
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, 1 crushed, 2 sliced
- 1 bottle (750 ml) Chianti
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1/2 cup green or black olives, pitted
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, crushed gently
Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper, and place in a large bowl. Add bay leaves, rosemary, and crushed clove of garlic; pour over wine. Let marinate for at least an hour, in the refrigerator, but preferably overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain chicken, reserving the marinade, and pat dry with paper towels. Coat chicken pieces with flour; shaking off any excess. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, 5 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and add the sliced garlic. Cook gently until golden brown, then add the anchovies, olives, tomatoes, and chicken pieces with their reserved marinade. Bring to a boil, and cover. Transfer to oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
Skim off any fat from the surface of the sauce, and discard. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves and rosemary before serving.