Date-and-Walnut Sandwich Cookies
Easy and impressive, these sandwich cookies embellish store-bought shortbread with a decadent four-ingredient date-and-walnut spread that has a honeylike sweetness and caramel overtones.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2009
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped (about 6 dates)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 8 round store-bought shortbread cookies (about 2 inches in diameter)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
Combine dates, water, and cinnamon in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until dates break down to a soft paste, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, then stir in walnuts.
Divide date mixture among 4 cookies. Top each with another cookie, and dust with confectioners' sugar if using. Serve immediately.