Anyone who licked the frosting off a cupcake as a child knows the topping is often the best part. These miniature desserts are dressed up with a scoop of gelato instead -- and this time, you get to choose the flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line mini-muffin tins with paper liners.
Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a mixer bowl. Transfer bowl to mixer, and add egg, yolk, water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Beat on low speed until mixture is well combined and smooth, about 3 minutes.
Divide batter among liners, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until golden brown and a tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks for 30 minutes. Invert cupcakes onto racks, and let cool completely. (Cupcakes can be stored for up to 3 days.)