Hot Pepper Mix and Hot Pepper Bread Crumb Mix
This recipe is from chef Jim Botsacos and is used to make his Roasted Jumbo Prawns.
- Yield: Makes enough for 6 servings
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, July Summer 2008
- 2 tablespoons Aleppo pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried Greek oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried orange peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried mint, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Place Aleppo pepper, oregano, fennel seeds, orange peel, mint, and basil in a mortar. Combine ingredients using a pestle. Measure out 3 tablespoons and set aside. The remaining spice mixture is the hot-pepper mix.
In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, olive oil, parsley, and garlic. Stir in reserved 3 tablespoons hot pepper mix until mixture resembles wet sand. If it does not, add more olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon at a time. This is the pepper-breadcrumb mix.