Roasted Vegetable Salad
A variety of fall vegetables are roasted in the oven until crisp, then drizzled with a roasted-garlic dressing and served on a bed of baby kale.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2000
- 1 acorn, delicata, or other winter squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 12 ounces assorted fingerling potatoes
- 1 bunch baby carrots (or 3 medium carrots)
- 2 medium leeks
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts
- 1 medium celeriac
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch baby beets, peeled, and cut in half
- 5 ounces baby kale, curly endive, or other hearty greens
- Warm Roasted Garlic Dressing
- 4 ounces aged goat cheese or Parmesan, for serving
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut squash crosswise in 1/4-inch rings, and remove seeds. Place in a large bowl, and set aside. Cut potatoes in half, lengthwise, and place in bowl with squash. Trim greens from carrots, and peel. (If using large carrots, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch coins.) Add to squash.
Trim roots from leeks, leaving end intact; cut off greens from leeks, and cut in half lengthwise. Wash well, then cut into long, thin wedges. Add to squash mixture.
Cut brussels sprouts in half, and add to bowl. Peel celeriac, and cut into 1/4-inch wedges; add to bowl.
Drizzle vegetables with 4 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss until well combined. Arrange in a single layer on two large rimmed baking sheets. Place beets in same bowl, drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Toss again. Add to baking sheet with vegetables.
Roast until golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes, tossing halfway through to ensure even browning. Remove from oven, and let cool slightly on baking sheets.
Place greens on plates or platter and arrange vegetables over. Drizzle with warm dressing. Shave cheese thinly with a vegetable peeler, and garnish the salad with it. Serve immediately.