This delicious recipe for Chicken Adobo is courtesy of courtesy of Romy Dorotan of Cendrillon.
- 1 1/2 cups unseasonsed rice or sugar cane vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
- One (3 to 3 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 6 serving pieces
- Sauteed Mustard Greens for Chicken Adobo
- Steamed jasmine rice, for serving (optional)
- 3 fresh red or green Bird's-eye chiles (optional)
In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, coconut milk, garlic, bay leaves, chiles, and peppercorns. Add chicken; marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Arrange chicken in a clay pot or Dutch-oven. Pour marinade over chicken, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Preheat broiler. Remove chicken from pot, and place on a baking sheet or broiler pan. Place under broiler until browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, continue to cook the remaining liquid in the pot until it reaches a creamy consistency. Transfer chicken to a serving platter, and top with reduced sauce. Serve with mustard greens and rice, if desired.