Under 30 Minutes
Grilled Eggplant with Yogurt Sauce
It's always a good idea to cut an eggplant right before you're ready to use it, as the flesh discolors rapidly. If it's fresh, it's not necessary to salt eggplant before cooking.
- 2 medium eggplants, (about 1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded, coarsely grated, and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
Heat grill to medium-high. Halve eggplants lengthwise; slice off enough from skin side so halves lay flat. Brush both sides of eggplant halves with oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cucumber, yogurt, parsley, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Serve sauce with grilled eggplant and lemon wedges, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, July/August 2005