Zucchini Spice Bread
Kids won't even notice the zucchini is this delicious spice bread from Mary Bodor of Patterson, New York.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 12
Source: Everyday Food, October 2003
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, and set aside. Grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater (to yield 1 3/4 cups); set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together sugars, oil, vanilla, and eggs.
Into a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, and stir to combine well. Stir in grated zucchini.
Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack, then reinvert, top side up. Cool completely before slicing.