Under 30 Minutes
White Bean and Olive Dip
A sophisticated twist on bean dip, earthy, creamy white beans punctuated by salty, pungent black olives are an irresistible combination. Serve with crackers and carrot sticks.
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) pine nuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces black olives, pitted and roughly chopped (1/2 cup)
- Coarse salt
- Crackers and carrot sticks, for serving
Toast pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat, shaking skillet once, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool, and chop coarsely. Toast cumin seeds in the same skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
Pulse beans, lemon juice, mayonnaise, cayenne, and cumin in a food processor until combined. With the machine running, add oil in a slow stream, processing until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in pine nuts and olives, and season with salt. Serve with crackers and carrot sticks.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, August 2008