Steamed Eggplant with Peanuts and Scallions
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, September 2009
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 Chinese, graffiti, or small Italian eggplants, quartered lengthwise and cut into 4-inch lengths
- 1/4 cup finely chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic, and oil. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
Set a steamer basket in a saucepan filled with 1 inch simmering water. Add eggplant, cover, and steam until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a platter and top with soy dressing, peanuts, and scallions. Serve warm.