Haricots Verts with Mustard Vinaigrette
Haricots verts pair well with lamb; their crunch and acidity balance the richness of the meat.
- Servings: 2
Photography: John Kernick
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 pound haricots verts or other thin green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grainy or smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Prepare an ice-water bath. Add salt to boiling water, then add haricots verts; cook just until beans are bright green all over, 1 to 2 minutes.
Drain beans; rinse immediately with cold water. Transfer to ice-water bath. When chilled completely, drain; pat dry.
Put shallot and vinegar in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Let stand 15 minutes. Whisk in mustard. Whisking constantly, pour in oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified. Set aside until ready to dress beans; whisk before using.