Mark's Old-Fashioned Sausage and Peppers
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living Television
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 fresh, hot Italian sausages
- 4 fresh, sweet Italian sausages
- 1 cup milled or crushed canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 pinch of dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, and peppers, and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the sausages, and cook about 4 minutes more, until sausages begin to brown. Add the tomatoes, wine, oregano, and a large pinch of salt. Cover, bring to a simmer, and simmer gently about 25 minutes, until the peppers are very soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Note: These recipes have been adapted from "The Campagna Table: Country Style Italian Cooking" by Mark Strausman. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow & Co. Inc.