Fresh Bread Crumbs
This recipe for bread crumbs is adapted from the February 2004 issue of Martha Stewart Living.
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) day-old bread, crusts removed and bread cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (from about 2 lemons), optional
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage, optional
- 3 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried optional
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 3 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried optional
- 3 tablespoons very finely chopped garlic, optional
Working in two batches, pulse bread cubes in a food processor to fine crumbs; transfer to a medium bowl.
To make plain breadcrumbs, stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt and season with pepper. To make lemon-sage breadcrumbs, stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt, lemon zest, and sage; season with pepper. To make parmesan-oregano breadcrumbs, stir in 1 tablespoon salt, oregano, and parmesan cheese; season with pepper. To make garlic-parsley breadcrumbs, stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons salt, parsley, and garlic; season with pepper.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2008