Lacy, green-flecked zucchini-potato pancakes are a pefect complement to any meat dish; they're also delicious served with a dollop of sour cream.
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and grated by hand
- 3 medium zucchini, seeded and grated by hand
- 2 shallots, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup beer
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Wrap vegetables in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess liquid. Mix with salt, pepper, eggs, flour, and beer.
In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat 1/8 inch oil for 1 minute. Add batter by tablespoons; flatten to form pancakes. Cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Turn and cook for 1 more minute; transfer to a paper towel.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, Spring 1991