Spaghetti with Figs, Basil, Brown Butter, and Hazelnuts
This recipe for spaghetti with figs, basil, brown butter, and hazelnuts is from Ron Suhanosky of Sfoglia and is sure to please the whole family.
- Servings: 6
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, September Summer/Fall 2007
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 pound fresh ripe black mission figs, cut into quarters
- 1/2 pound blanched, toasted hazelnuts, coarsely ground in a mortar and pestle
- 6 large, fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound good quality spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
Meanwhile, heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Continue cooking butter until light brown and fragrant. Add figs, hazelnuts, and basil; season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until figs begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente, according to package directions. Drain pasta reserving 2 tablespoons pasta water. Add pasta and reserved pasta water to skillet; toss to combine.
Serve immediately with Parmesan cheese, if desired.