Mario Batali's Fettuccine with Lemon, Hot Peppers, and Pecorino Romano
This recipe is adapted from Mario Batali's "Molto Italiano" (Ecco, 2005).
- Servings: 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 jalapenos, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds Mario Batali's Fresh Fettuccine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
Bring 6 quarts water to a boil in a large pot; season with salt.
Meanwhile, in a 10- to 12-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until almost smoking. Add onion and red pepper flakes; saute until translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add jalapenos; saute for 1 minute. Add zest and juice; bring to a boil, and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Drop pasta into boiling water and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain.
Toss hot pasta into pan with lemon mixture; return to medium heat. Stir together gently. Add pecorino; toss quickly. Transfer to a warmed serving platter. Serve immediately.