Sausage with Fennel and Olives
This recipe for sausage with fennel and olives is courtesy of Lidia Bastianich.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 sweet Italian sausages (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 cup large green olives, squashed and pitted
- 3 large fennel bulbs (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages; cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add wine and bring to a boil; cook until reduced by half. Transfer sausages to a platter; pour over cooking liquid.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until sizzling, about 1 minute. Add crushed red pepper flakes and cook 30 seconds. Add olives and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes more.
Add fennel and stir to combine. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover skillet, and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring, until fennel is soft and begins to brown, about 20 minutes. Add a little water to skillet if fennel does not begin to soften.
Return sausages and their cooking liquid to skillet. Toss together with fennel mixture and cook, uncovered, until mixture is caramelized and well coated, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2007