Apple Puffed Pancake
This recipe for a delightful breakfast treat is perfect for the entire family and is courtesy of viewer Terry Coulter of Virginia. Terry also recommends serving this recipe as a dessert, simply by doubling the cinnamon and sugar used, and serving a la mode.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk, preferably organic
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 apples, such as Gala or Red Delicious, peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Combine eggs, milk, and vanilla in the jar of a blender. Blend until well combined. Add flour, granulated sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Blend until dry ingredients are well incorporated; set aside.
Place butter in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Transfer dish to oven and heat until butter has just melted. Carefully remove from oven and place apples in a single layer in baking dish. Return to oven and cook until butter begins to bubble, about 4 minutes.
Pour batter over apples, sprinkle with brown sugar, and continue baking until puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired; serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, April 2007