Chef Stanley Wong recommends visiting an Asian or Indian market to find many of these ingredients.
- 3 cups Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons Stanley's Laksa Paste Stanley's Laksa Paste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces puffed bean curd, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 12 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails left on
- 3/4 pound egg or rice noodles, cooked
- 4 ounces bean sprouts, root ends removed
- Cilantro or Thai basil leaves, for garnish
In a medium saucepan, bring chicken stock and coconut milk to a boil. Stir in laksa paste, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Pass mixture through a chinois or a fine-mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth. Transfer to a second saucepan, and keep warm over medium-low heat. Add bean curd, and cook for 3 minutes.
Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add shrimp, and sear on both sides until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove, and set aside.
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil; add salt. Add noodles, and heat through. Drain, and divide among four large soup bowls. Pour soup over noodles, and top with bean sprouts, shrimp, and herb leaves. Serve immediately.