Chef Stanley Wong recommends visiting an Asian or Indian market to find many of these ingredients.
- 3 cups Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons Stanley's Laksa Paste Stanley's Laksa Paste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces puffed bean curd, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 12 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails left on
- 3/4 pound egg or rice noodles, cooked
- 4 ounces bean sprouts, root ends removed
- Cilantro or Thai basil leaves, for garnish
In a medium saucepan, bring chicken stock and coconut milk to a boil. Stir in laksa paste, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Pass mixture through a chinois or a fine-mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth. Transfer to a second saucepan, and keep warm over medium-low heat. Add bean curd, and cook for 3 minutes.
Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add shrimp, and sear on both sides until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove, and set aside.
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil; add salt. Add noodles, and heat through. Drain, and divide among four large soup bowls. Pour soup over noodles, and top with bean sprouts, shrimp, and herb leaves. Serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living Television