Sauteed Red Cabbage With Raisins
Sauteed red cabbage is at once colorful and comforting as the weather cools.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Gentl and Hyers
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2005
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red cabbage (about 1 3/4 pounds), halved, cored, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 small shallots, quartered and separated into layers (about 4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup raisins
Heat oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add cabbage and shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage has softened slightly, about 15 minutes. Stir in salt, lemon juice, and vinegar. Season with pepper. Cook until cabbage has wilted and shallots have softened, 10 to 12 minutes more. Stir in raisins; serve.