Poached Egg and Toast Salad
Greens and sprouts turn classic eggs on toast into a satisfying brunch or late supper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard
- 2 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 6 ounces mesclun or other mixed salad greens
- 4 slices seven-grain bread
- 3/4 cup buckwheat or alfalfa sprouts, (optional)
Whisk together 2 tablespoons water, oil, mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, capers, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, bring 2 inches of lightly salted water to a boil; reduce to a slow simmer. One at a time, carefully crack eggs into a shallow bowl, and slide gently into water. Poach for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, blotting well on towel to drain.
While eggs are poaching, toss greens with dressing. Toast bread, tear each slice into pieces, and toss with salad greens. Arrange on four plates, and top with a poached egg. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with sprouts if desired.