Under 30 Minutes
Quick Black-Eyed Peas with Tomatoes
Black-eyed peas and tomatoes quickly prepared on the grill make an ideal side for blackened chicken.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tomatoes, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
Place a large piece of foil directly over heat source on grill. Place a medium ovenproof pot on foil and heat until warm. Add oil, garlic, and scallion whites, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until scallions begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, black-eyed peas, and water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes begin to break down, about 10 minutes. Add scallion greens and serve.