Under 30 Minutes
Mediterranean Tuna Salad with Croutons
Crisp croutons add a toasty crunch to this twist on tuna salad. Make them in a skillet instead of the oven to keep the kitchen heat down.
- 1/2 baguette, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 small garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 head Boston lettuce (about 10 ounces), torn into pieces
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored, halved lengthwise, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tuna packed in olive oil, drained
In a large skillet, toss bread with 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, tossing frequently, until croutons are golden and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside.
Finely chop garlic, and sprinkle with salt. Using a chef's knife, press the flat side of the blade back and forth across garlic to make a paste. Transfer to a large bowl; whisk in lemon juice, mustard, and remaining oil. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
To bowl, add lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and croutons; toss to combine. Divide salad among four plates, and top with tuna.
SourceEveryday Food, July/August 2008