Walnut Date Muffins
These muffins freeze well; defrost individually for a quick and easy breakfast.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin-pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup light (mild) molasses
- 6 tablespoons light olive, canola, or safflower oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pitted dates, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, brown sugar, pumpkin-pie spice, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl combine milk, molasses, oil, and eggs; stir into dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and dates.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 23 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan, and then remove and cool to room temperature.