Source: Everyday Food, January 2007
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white beans, such as cannellini or navy, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add beans and 1/2 cup water; simmer until beans have softened, 5 to 7 minutes. If beans are not soft after 7 minutes, add more water and continue to cook.
Add molasses, ketchup, mustard powder, and another 1/2 cup water. Simmer until sauce has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day; reheat over low.