Rose's Baked Artichoke Hearts
Martha Stewart Living editor Lucinda Scala Quinn shares her recipe for baked artichoke hearts.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2008
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh curly leaf parsley
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1/4 cup)
- 2 ounces Pecorino Romano, grated (1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs, such as thyme, oregano, and savory, or Italian seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 packages (9 ounces each) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and drained
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for baking dishes
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 teaspoons)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine breadcrumbs, parsley, cheeses, herbs, and salt in a medium bowl, and season with pepper.
Brush oil inside two 4-cup, 9 1/2-inch ceramic baking dishes or one 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Divide artichoke hearts between dishes, and spread into a single layer. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over artichokes, pushing it into cracks between hearts. Tap bottom of dishes on counter to settle breadcrumb mixture.
Whisk oil, lemon juice and zest, and garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle dressing evenly over breadcrumb topping. Cover dishes with parchment, then foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Increase temperature to 375 degrees. Uncover, and bake until breadcrumbs are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately.