Nacho Cheese Sauce
Complete a plate of Nachos Supremo with this irresistible cheese sauce.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups minced red onion
- 4 jalapenos, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup lager-style beer
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 1 pound)
- 4 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 1 pound)
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, jalapenos, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring, until onion is very soft, about 6 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes.
Slowly add cream and beer; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add both cheeses and tomatoes; cook, stirring, until melted and well combined.
Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper; serve immediately with nachos.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, February 2010