Muscovado Soy Biscuits
- Yield: Makes about 10 biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups organic soy flour, plus 1/2 cup for topping
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled organic butter (1 stick), cut into pieces, plus 3 tablespoons, softened
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup organic apple juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown muscovado sugar
- Honey Butter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.with rack in center. In a medium bowl, sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add 1/2 cup chilled butter; using a pastry blender or your hands, combine until mixture is crumbly. Stir in enough apple juice to form dough moist enough to drop from a spoon.
In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup flour, cinnamon, and sugar. Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter; mix until well combined.
Drop a heaping tablespoon of dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet; crumble 1/2 teaspoon of topping into center. Top with another heaping tablespoon of dough; sprinkle on 1/2 teaspoon of topping. Repeat with remaining ingredients, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Serve with honey butter.