Mache with Fennel, Carrot, and Orange
A salad combines nutty greens with citrus and shaved vegetables.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Frances Janisch
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2006
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon, freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch of sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound baby or halved regular carrots (about 2 1/2 cups), peeled into ribbons
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb, (about 10 ounces), trimmed, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 medium shallot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 small oranges, peel and pith removed, carved into segments using a sharp knife (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 4 cups Mache
Make the dressing: Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl; season with pepper. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until emulsified.
Make the salad: Toss carrots and fennel in bowl with dressing to coat. Let stand until softened, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer carrot-fennel mixture to a large bowl; discard excess dressing. Add shallot, orange segments, and mache; toss to combine. Divide salad among 4 serving plates.